One of my great loves is gardening! I am sad to say that my garden hasn't been very successful this year, though. The weather has been super weird and it was such a wet spring for us that I couldn't get things planted during the right time. But, planting things is always such an enjoyable experiment for me to see what I can get to grow. I've actually had some luck this year with crook-neck squash. We have so much of it! With just two of us we can't eat it all or even close to it. I have lots of green tomatoes (no red ones yet), a few ears of corn (that is almost ready to be eaten), carrots, and a handful of beans. AND, this is the first year I have tried to grow watermelon and I actually have two that are still growing! I don't know if they will make it before it cools off too much. But I am pleased that they grew. :)Every year that I plant things, I learn something. I think that's one reason I like to do it. This year my Dad taught me that I should plant corn in rows of two so that they can cross-pollinate easier. I know that's how he always planted them and it's how I've seen them planted in other people's gardens. I just didn't realize the reason for it.
But, vegetables aren't the only things growing in my garden...there's also tons of weeds!!!!
I'm afraid the weeds in my garden have begun to take over. Sad. I haven't had enough time to devote to keeping it weeded around the edges. The big weeds are all closing in on the plants and smaller weeds are beginning to grow in the middle! We never really killed the weeds that were around it from since we moved in the house last year, so unfortunately they just kept growing and growing and growing. We'll have to get rid of the weeds (maybe with RoundUp?) when we get done harvesting food from our garden this fall.
Here's a few more pictures of the battle of weeds vs. garden.



But amidst the dislike I have for those dang marshmallow weeds and morning glory....
...I still love to garden.



3 comments:
What a wonderful garden! I can't wait until we have some yard to devote to a garden. Makes for great summer, (and canned for winter), eats.
I am so jealous. Our back yard is exposed to the forest- the propety lines are too angular and hilly to install a fence. PLus we have to deal with the stupid association regulations. Anyway, we have too much wildlife to grow anything. I tried this year. I got two pears and that's it- from 2 pear trees!
You have a big garden! I need to start a garden as Vic really wants one, but I'm a bit nervous to start one as I'm afraid it will be a weed battle & I HATE weeds! I am very jealous of your squash. I just bought one yesterday because I love it so much & it cost me almost $5! So if you are headed our way bring some with you :) Which... by the way, when are you headed this way again?! We actually have a house you can stay in this time if you come again!
Post a Comment