Monday, June 25, 2012

My Garden

 I have thoroughly enjoyed playing in my garden so far this year and wanted to catch a few shots of what it looks like right now.  This lilly just started to open up today!
 Sunflowers are growing like mad.  I think it is especially cool because I planted them from seeds I harvested from a sunflower that I grew 2 years ago.  I LOVE sunflowers!  My very favorite flower although I do have a lot of favorites.
 Overview of the garden. 
 Beans and corn are doing pretty good.  Corn was a little sparse so I replanted some the other day in the spots that didn't grow.  I soaked the seeds this time to see if that would help.
 Cherry tomatoes are so yummy.  They are all blossomed out!
 And the peas are loving life right now!  These fences were already in the garden.  When my Mom and Dad were here during my surgery, my Dad tilled up the garden and then asked if I had any pea seeds to plant here.  I quickly took him up on the offer and even came out and helped plant them the day after my surgery.  We picked some peas yesterday and shared some with our neighbors.  Their little girl who is 4 was loving them!  When we left to go home she wanted to go with us so she could come eat some more peas.  I told her she would have to wait a few days and then come over to help pick  more peas.  We will have so many in just a few days!  So yummy!

 I love home-grown carrots
 Broccoli.  This is my first year growing broccoli.  Can't wait to see how it turns out. 
And beets.  They are the best when you pickle them and bottle them up to eat all year long! 

I really could and do spend hours in the garden and it is something that I really enjoy.  It's nice to see some of the fruits of my labor!

3 comments:

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Your garden looks so good! Ours is barely starting to grow....except for the peas, anyway. And as a funny side note: Our neighbor told us to come over and get a bunch of spinach and lettuce out of her garden because she had more than she could handle. Thanks to your blog, I just realized that I put beet leaves in our salad! Is that ok? I don't know! I've never heard of anyone doing it...but we didn't get sick or die, so... :c)

Emily said...

I'm jealous! I didn't get to plant a garden this year :( I will be happily back at it next year though. And maybe I can beg a few zucchini's from neighbors (everybody seems to have extra every year!) And Amber-we eat the beet leaves at our house all the time-you're safe!

csharpfamily said...

Your garden looks awesome. We had a garden this year as well...on a much smaller scale and ours didn't turn out to be nearly as impressive. Way to go you guys!!!