Sunday, October 26, 2008

What did we do this weekend?

Friday and Saturday we worked on our investment property that we are planning on fixing up and selling. Will has been good to get a plan all ready and decided what we need to do and in what order. Friday morning we drove to Logan and spent about 3 hours at Lowe's looking at things we needed and making decisions. We got a good start on getting the house fixed up. Here's a list of some of the things we did:
  • took off tile in the bathroom and mudded underneath to fill in the holes
  • used a shopvac to clean around window sills and heater vents
  • cleaned sinks and bathrooms more (they were totally gross!!!) I'll spare you the picture.
  • raked and bagged leaves in the front yard (we got 5 big garbage bags full of COMPACTED leaves)
  • peeled and scraped off wallpaper from the kitchen
  • tested light fixtures and put new light bulbs in
  • took old water heater and other random metal to salvage yard and got $3 for it! woo hoo.
  • some yard work, trimmed branches and raked flower beds





I don't understand why anybody puts wallpaper up, as hard as it is to take it off walls! Especially in an old house. After wallpaper experiences in the house we live in and this other house, I know two things for certain: 1. it's terrible to scrape off! and 2. I (probably*) will never put up wallpaper in a house that I live in it.

* I needed to add "probably" so that I don't eat my words someday if I decide to put up a little bit of wallpaper. If I do, I obviously will have forgotten how hard it is to scrape off.


We are grateful for the Sabbath day of rest today, to be able to rest our minds and bodies from all the hard work we did yesterday!

3 comments:

BrookieT said...

I've heard if you use a steamer against the wallpaper, it comes right off- DIY network!! You guys have been doing a ton of work!

VicandNanc said...

The best investment I made for removing wall paper was that stuff that you spray on until the walls are soaked with it, rip off a layer, then soak it again... then it all wipes right off. Scraping is just too much effort not worth the $5 savings!!
I've been wondering how your house has been going. Do you have a new roof on it yet? I hope so with winter right around the corner! It looks like a lot of work. I would be wearing a mask & long sleeves too! I hope you make good money off it with the market down. Our house in Boise is now down $30,000 (it was originally just $10,000 & we were bummed then. Now it looks like we'll have it for quite awhile :(

VicandNanc said...

P.S. Are you ever going to come visit?!