We returned home from our vacation on Sunday night. I've been anxious to get these pictures posted here on the blog. We had an
AWESOME time! We flew into Ketchikan and stayed there in a cute little bed and breakfast apartment the whole week. The apartment was right on Ketchikan Creek so we had very easy access to fishing in that stream. Surprisingly, all of our flights were on-time and uneventful!

Our first day we went ocean fishing with a guide. The weather was gorgeous! The locals all said it was the best weather they had seen all summer. We caught three silver salmon and two baby king salmon (that we didn't keep.) Unfortunately we didn't catch any halibut, cod, or rockfish. The guide said that the season is kind of winding down and also that it's usually a trade off between good weather and good fishing. I guess we got the good weather.

Bob, our ocean guide.

Here's Will and me with our fish! Definitely the biggest fish I've ever caught!

Sunday we attended the Ketchikan LDS Ward. We met a lot of nice people. The building they have is so beautiful! It is made of wood on the inside and outside! It reminded me a lot of a cabin. Here's a picture of the chapel.

Pink salmon were EVERYWHERE in the streams. While wading they were literally bumping into our legs. Staying right on the creek was awesome because we could just gear up and walk outside and start fishing. It also made it so we didn't have to rent a car. We rode the bus a couple of times to the Walmart for groceries and the days we were guided, we had a driver pick us up at our apartment.

Here is Will fishing in Ketchikan Creek. Our place we were staying is a part of the yellow home on the right.

Here's Will with one of the MANY pink salmon that we caught. These fish are strong and can fight! We were using 8 wt. fly rods and the salmon were putting some serious bends in our rods.

We did take some time to walk around Ketchikan and do a little bit of souviner shopping. Ketchikan's main industry is tourism and both sport and commercial fishing, so there were plenty of shops and people that wanted to take you fishing and sightseeing. Here are more pictures of the town.

I was intrigued by the colorful houses that were built on very steep cliffs and drop offs.
We saw BEARS!

We fished the streams with a guide two different days and the first day we saw black bears! It was a mama and two cubs. The cubs were such cute little fur balls! They were approximately 25 yards away from us. It wasn't really scary, but more exciting to see them. Our guide had a Glock just in case.

Mostly we were catching pinks, but we did hook into this nice Coho (silver salmon) in this stream. Note: Just for the record, I am NOT using my teeth as tools. ha ha :) Don't show this to any of my patients.

Here are more pictures of us fishing and the fish we caught:

At Ward Creek

Heidi's coho caught in the creek


Above: The coho that took both of us fighting it for over a half hour! Caught in the creek.


Fishing with our guide at the White River. Can you see the bears behind us?


We had a great time! It was an incredible experience that we will always remember. We both decided that will be returning to Alaska in the coming years.
Anyone want to join us?
11 comments:
How fun! I really love Alaska, wish I could have gone with you. but As my husband told me, it's easier to buy fish then to actually fish. I don't know if I believe him, but it sounds as if you had a great time!
Oh how fun! I would have loved being with you...and your secret about the teeth will just stay between us bloggers. :) What a great vacation. I hope I get to go someday. I guess I hope just to get out of Southern Idaho someday.
WOW! What a fun trip! Spencer and I are so jealous! Spencer said the big fish in Alaska are so fun because they fight for so long! Great pictures! Run from the bears!
i've decided you guys have way too much fun together! looks like you had a blast!! so glad to see you having so much fun and so happy!
Looks like fun! I have to say I'm REALLY jealous! Those are monster fish compared to the little trout I'm used to catching here. Let's plan a trip sometime. Did you take all of your own gear?
Welcome back! I'll bet you didn't even want to come home. Alaska is so beautiful and it looks like you had plenty of luck with the fish! Jimmy and I would love to go to Alaska with you guys! Maybe someday....
Wow! That looks like it was an amazing trip! I'm so jealous! Kenny and I want to go fishing up in Alaska someday--when we're graduated. I have some cousins up there that have fishing boats--but I've never met them. Were you guys worried about the bears being so close by, or is it just so normal up there that it's not a big deal?
Wow....looks like you guys had a blast! You caught some really big fish! Yummy! The church building looks really cool on the inside too!
What an awesome trip! I have always wanted to go to Alaska. I do have some relatives in Anchorage...Those are some mighty powerful fish you caught! A perfect getaway for you guys. How did you get all the fish home on the airplane?
Fun pictures! I've been excited to check it out, but so busy with our move last weekend... which by the way you need to come see our new house! Anyway, I think you should wait 2 years & then Vic & I would definitely be in! Next year we need to go somewhere warm & tropical, but the next year would be WAY fun! You should come with us to Mexico instead :)
P.S. I can't BELIEVE the size of those fish!
Post a Comment