Sunday, August 19, 2012

5K Britten's Run

 On Saturday I participated in "Britten's Run" which was a fun run/walk fund raiser for Britten Schenk, a missionary from Hyde Park who is a living miracle after being hit by a bus on his mission in Brazil and sustaining extensive head trauma. 

The event was my first ever race.  Ever since I can remember I've wanted to do a 5K.  Never really feeling like I was ready, I never had signed up for one or did one.  This was a good cause and so a bunch of us from my work went down to Nibley, UT to participate.  Britten and his family have been our dental patients so when we found out about it we signed up for it.  And even better, our employers paid our entrance fee!
 Here we are lined up for the race to start.  There were so many people there!  It was awesome to see so much support for the family.
 Coming into the finish line.  Will came with and was a great support in taking photos of everyone.
 I was happy to be done!
 My goal was to be able to run the 5K without stopping to walk, and I DID IT!   I met my goal.  I was so happy.  I am a slow runner but I just kept a steady pace and kept going.  I have gone running the past two weekends to prepare for this race.  Yesterday it seemed a lot easier to run and I think it was partly because of the other people around.  They didn't have the distances marked on the race so the whole time I kept thinking, "I wonder how far I have gone?"
 After the race.  Here we are with Britten and his parents.

5 comments:

Michelle W. Nate said...

That is so fantastic!!! Way to go!!! Proud of you and our office!

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Well done! I would keel over dead. What a great cause, too!

Unknown said...

Way to go, Heidi! It looks like you had fun. You've got to be careful with those things they can become addicting. By the way your beans look awesome. Hooray for being self sufficient.

csharpfamily said...

How awesome Heidi! We are so proud of you. I've gone on a 5 K walk but never a 5 K run. And for such a great cause. You go girl!

VicandNanc said...

Good job Heidi! You look like you've lost weight in the running picture too, see what a few miles can do?! haha, you look good! :)