Friday, August 26, 2011

Blue Ribbon Banana Bread

BLUE RIBBON BANANA BREAD
recipe
In a blender put 6 ripe bananas, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 8 oz. (1 cup) sour cream, 2 tsp. vanilla. Blend until smooth.
In a large mixing bowl put 4 cups flour, 3 cups sugar, 2 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Other add-ins as desired: raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, dates, etc.
Add banana mixture to flour mixture and mix well. Put in greased pans. Only grease bottoms of pans, not sides. Fill pans 2/3 of the way full.
Bake 325 degrees F. Large loaves take about 1 hour to bake. Smaller loaf pans and muffins take 30-40 minutes. This recipe makes the amount as pictured above.

*Heidi's notes: I don't add the cinnamon because my husband is allergic. When bananas get too ripe to eat then I put them in the freezer until I have enough to make bread out of them. Or I'll buy the discounted over-ripe bananas they sell at the grocery store to use. I personally think it should be illegal to add nuts, dates, or raisins to this bread, (or to any dessert or baked good, for that matter) but that is only personal preference. I understand that people like different things. I will sometimes add chocolate chips (when I remember to). I think it tastes good with or without the chocolate chips. I prefer to use the smaller loaf pans because it doesn't take as long to bake and then it's easy to share with friends. I baked some in my muffin pan for the first time and it was awesome! We took some with us on our backpacking trip last weekend and ate it for breakfast and it was delicious!

I entered this banana bread in the Franklin County Fair this year and I got a blue ribbon! Yea! So I decided to rename the recipe accordingly. I got the recipe from my Mom, and I'm not sure where she got it from. But it is so good and stays so moist. Yum! Enjoy and let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That bread looks super Yummy, I will definitely be trying it out. But, I may break your rule and add nuts :) Do you remember when Jason and I made those really yummy brownies covered in nuts especially for you two? hehe

csharpfamily said...

Congratulations on the Blue Ribbon honor for your Banana Bread. Banana Bread is so hard to get a really great recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. We hope that all is great with you and your family. We sure miss you and your folks.

Unknown said...

I just made this bread yesterday and it is soooo good. It will definitely be my new banana bread recipe. Thanks!

Will and Heidi said...

@ Becky, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love it, too. Just without the nuts... ha ha.
@Cathy, We miss you, too! Thanks for commenting

VicandNanc said...

Hmmm... I think I should just come try it at your house! I can't wait for all of Victor's training to be done so we can get back to playing & having a life!

BrookieT said...

I was about to make some banana bread...and I am now going to use this recipe!! Right now! I'll let u know how it turns out...

Carol said...

This is the BEST Banana Bread ever. I've made it since 1977, when I got it from our bishop's wife. I'm glad you all like it. Heidi's mom!