Sunday, September 20, 2009

Feels So Good

Will and I worked quite a bit this weekend. We worked on getting the rest of the trees trimmed and hauled branches to the landfill. Everything turned out pretty well! I'm grateful for friends and family that let us borrow things like ladder, tree loppers, wheelbarrow, etc.
Our plum tree has about a million plums on it and that's just the first of two trees that we have. The second tree is a little different variety of plum and not quite ripe yet. Friday we picked some and did some dehydrating and bottling plums. Again, I'm very grateful for fruit trees that produce, and Will's mom that let me borrow her cooker, and instruction book and she let me use her canning lids.

And since we were having so much fun, we decided to do some freezer corn also. The corn we got for free. Will and his sister picked it and they and Will's mom did most of the shucking. Will and I did the boiling and cutting and bagging the following day. Will found and bought these cool corn cutters at Smithfield Implement that help you cut the corn off the cob way easier than using a knife. We are definitely storing food for the winter. It feels so good!

Food storage and emergency preparedness is something that I've been trying to get on top of more this year. So far I've just been doing little things, but I hope to get even more things organized and purchased as the good deals come. I just discovered a feature on a cool website that I've known about for a little while, thanks to my friend Amber. The website is Pinching Your Pennies (I have a link on my blog roll on the left side so I can keep updated on deals) and it has great deals posted daily and also weekly grocery lists that list everything that's on sale at several different grocery stores. Not only that, it also lists if there are coupons and links you to where the coupon is located (if it's an online coupon) or tells you where to find it if it's in the newspaper. So, I am excited to start using these customizable grocery lists to get awesome deals!

Another great website, thanks to my friend Emily, is Food Storage Made Easy. This has been great and it is my inspiration for getting more prepared. The babysteps checklists tell you what to do and purchase and lets you go little steps at a time, which is perfect for me!

If you need some inspiration yourself, feel free to go check it out!

And last but not least, as it is the title of this blog, we did get to do some fishing on Friday. We went over to Weston Reservoir. The catching was slow, but the fishing was still good. It was a very beautiful day. I love where we live!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow! You guys just amaze me at all you've been doing with the canning! Good job!

Emily said...

WOAH! You are inspiring! Isn't that website the best?!?!

Tamara said...

You did a whole lot more canning than I did. Great job! It does feel good producing your own food storage, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work you two~ It is so neat to see the progress you are making. It was good talking to you last night.

Emily said...

Nice Heidi & Will! I'm jealous--maybe next year I'll follow your example!